Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mayreau and Tobago Keys 10 June

We left Beckway and sailed past another few islands to Mayreau. This was about 26 miles. Mayreau is a gorgeous little island with a big bay with white sandy beaches coconut trees and past that another beach and the ocean again. There was a little hut made into a bar by a Rastafarian. There were lots of boats there because there was going to be a pig roast party. We arrived and 2 different guys came in their dinghys from their boats to welcome us to the 'hood' and invite us to the pig roast the next night. We had drinks that afternoon in the Rasta bar and met lots of other yachties. We also saw three sharks. The next morning a couple came past our boat taking photos for an article on the pig roast. They told me there would be 9 am water aerobics. So I got in our dinghy to ask Miriam and Celine to come. They did not want to so I went. It was a lot of fun. I had already baked a banana cake to take to the pig roast earlier. Yes we do get up quite early. Mind you we go to sleep early. The Rasta man cooked the 2 pigs one yachtie had bought and he even put in a toilet for the occasion. Everybody brought other food which was put on long tables. Big speakers were put up and voila a great party.
The next day I could not join in the aerobics because I dropped a knife on my food the day before. I had bled more then those roasted pigs I think and the wound kept oozing and I was told that I should keep it dry. We left and sailed to the keys were you can snorkel with the turtles. I went as well and hoped for the best with my wound. Lots of turtles there and they seemed to be used to people. After that the wind started blowing and we were only anchored behind a reef but open to the ocean. I hardly slept that night thinking we were going to drag on the anchor. We were jerking on the anchor but woke up the next morning in the same place. We left and heard all the people on the radio wanting to leave as well. We sailed at 7 knots with only the jib partly out. Great sail to Union island. Last one of the grenadines. However we had to go to a bay on the other side of the island (like not we're the little town Clifton is) to be protected from the blow. Saw this strange looking trimaran you can see on the photos. Looks like a huge modified yacht. Lots of people in this bay. I woke up this morning looking at this guy fishing naked from the side of his yacht. I guess he thought that lure would attract those huge jumping fish here. He was standing and put a big effort in but did not do any better then I had sitting in the cockpit with my drink. There is no wifi here can not even get the Internet on the kindle. We will be here another day yet till the blow goes. There is a catamaran on the shore that broke away from the mooring in feb this year and rocky and Rick kept going there in the dinghy to salvage more. I think rocky got a foot pump for water. All is good in paradise and this will go when we have Internet

No comments:

Post a Comment