Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sint Maarten 17 April

We have been to the Dutch side which is like the riviera in France. Beautiful white beach where you can rent chair and umbrella. Lots of restaurants. Cruise ships and many electronic and jewelry shop. The three women went by bus which you just flag down anywhere. I sat in the back next to a guy ready for conversation. He told me to buy jewelry. When I said I was not going to he advised me to find a man to buy it for me. Anyway we enjoyed our walk there and I bought Havana a little black rastafarian doll.
Then in the morning when we had breakfast this guy came to put down crab pots. We asked what he was catching and he came to our boat to explain. I asked him for a coffee and je came on the boat for some coffee and bagel. Mind you he was wearing just big white undies. Anyway Michele entertained us with his philosophy on life. He also showed us pictures of himself having caught a 4.5 meter shark in his small boat. He said he fought it for 3hours and he won. He showed his fingers and toes as proof and looking at his undies he still had the crown jewels as well We asked about buying lobster but he said we could buy red snapper of him. He left and asked if I liked mangoes and said he would bring some.
So this morning there he was again with a bucket full of mangoes and tamarinds. Small mangoes but very sweet. How nice was that. The trip is starting to be like in 'an embarrassment of mangoes' with gifts like that. So anyway I took some of that fruit to both our friends boat. I forgot to tell that we went to this Yamaha place but at siesta time. This is what we found for opening times

1 comment:

  1. What a life...well, more accurately...'adventure'! I have to say I LOVE your portrait of the lady selling the hats, I had to pin it on my 'portraits' pinterest board

    ReplyDelete